In all the talk about guns there seems to be a perspective that is missing– that of Jesus. Sure there are a lot of Christians who have provided their opinions, but often they sound the same as one political party or another. There is nothing revolutionary or edgy enough about their opinion to makes it sound like it would come from the mouth of Jesus.
So in a move that could sound incredibly arrogant, I give you my brief take on Jesus’ perspective on gun control.
- Weapons of all kinds existed in Jesus day.
- Jesus never spoke out against personal ownership of weapons.
- He did tell Peter, “all who draw the sword will die by the sword”(Mt. 26: 52)
- This seems to be more about Peter’s desire take things into his own hands, rather than trust that Jesus is in control.
- Jesus is clear that His followers are not to attack others, but instead give up their life for others. (John 15:13)
- Jesus speaking through New Testament writers, calls all His followers to be at peace with all people (Romans 12:18; Hebrews 12:14)
- Jesus also calls His followers to care for the needs of others not by destroying the oppressors (because that His job) but instead by using their resources to care for those in need. (Luke 10:24-37)